Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Lonely Island's Andy Samburg Guest DJs


I love The Lonely Island and how they've been able to rejuvenate the dying SNL brand, but I'm also juiced that Andy Samburg and I have somewhat similar taste in music. He introduces 5 diverse songs he really likes on KCRW's Guest DJ Project and though I'm not feeling all of them, a couple caught my ear.

One was Ghostface Killah's "The Champ" off his dope album Fishscale. "The Champ" stands out because it places Ghost's celebratory and bravado filled boastings over Just's incendiary horn samples and some intermitant old-school Muhammad Ali-ish mutterings. This song also contains the line, "My swagger is Mick Jager," a line that Kanye jacked for his verse on "Swagger Like Us."
I was hella caught off guard that Andy loves Roberta Flack though. Her melancholic ballads are always bittersweet, but her voice is absolutely gorgeous. I discovered Roberta the same way that Andy did—by digging through my parents' vinyl. I still remember coming across her debut album First Take and wearing it out. For those of you who aren't up on their old school, The Fugees' "Killing Me Softly" is a Roberta Flack cover, as is D'Angelo's "Feel Like Making Love."

0 comments:

Post a Comment