Thursday, July 7, 2011

Music Video: Josie Stingray: "Whatever Style" x "Got to Get It"






When I saw that Josie was featured on Mike Baker the Bike Maker's "Coast is Clear," I thought three things:


1. Finally, new Josie. (The last song we posted was "Josie" ft. 1-O.A.K.)
2. How fitting. (She's definitely in her own lane and so Honor Roll)
3. When is she gonna drop another track? (See parenthesis following first thought)

Days later "Got to Get it" was in my inbox. The video was Josie in full sneakerhead mode. And whereas Mistah FAB's recent sneaker anthem was filmed in a store, "Got to Get It" revealed Josie  at the house with her actual kicks. Then, before I could post it, she hit me with her "Cannon" freestyle. Just when I thought I didn't want to hear anyone else on "Cannon," I was happy she did it. It showed that she could be a bit more aggressive with her lyrics and flow, without losing her cool. It showed that while she could rhyme over indy-electro and funky tracks, she could still get on the joints that mainstream hip-hop cats rocked with. 

I fux with Josie. I appreciate her flow and her decision to leave gimmicky foolery to clowns. (My words, not hers.) She makes music I want to hear.  And I rock with her because for all of her talent, all of the artists she's worked with, and after all work she's put in, she is still underrated but doing her thing none the less.



0 comments:

Post a Comment