Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Music Video: Erk Tha Jerk: "Hands Up"


Before Nerd's Eye View dropped, Erk had a listening session. I walked through a sketchy alley to get there. Damn near everybody was late. There was smoke in the air and Henny in cups. Up until this point, Coolhand was advocate for all things Erk. I liked dude as a person. I was feeling a number of his songs. But I still didn't know about him.

Track after track I nodded my head. More often than not I made a strange face. Like Jay makes in Fade to Black when he hears a beat that will eventually become his song. Remember the face? Yeah, it's something like that. That was when I knew. When it was time to go around hear the feedback everyone had written on their white pieces of paper, I had one complaint. "Right Here" didn't fit. Yes, I realized it was his hit single. Yes, I realized that some folks didn't have the Hood Nerd Mixtapes and would be expecting the Erk they heard on KMEL. But after hearing "How Do You Love Me," "Summer," "I Know,"  etc.,  "Right Here" seemed out of place. So I said it. He told me he had something to balance it out.

Fast forward a bit and I get my hands on a copy of Nerd's Eye View, and instantly I know that "Hands Up" is what he was talking about. It's catchy. It's radio friendly. He doesn't reveal much in the track and that's fine cuz sharing his soul is not the purpose of "Hands Up." When it comes to getting tipsy women in the club to sing about their vijajays? He got that. Making it okay for dudes in the club to indirectly ask if a chick is about that life without her feeling offended? He got that. Dropping the right verses, to the right beat, with a vibe that makes the song sound like an anthem for all the independent women? He got that. Video with pretty women in the club that you can't touch? He got that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment